Opening hours and appointments
- The Archive is open by appointment on Monday - Thursday from 10am until 4.30pm. Appointments must be booked at least a day ahead.
- Researchers are advised to book well in advance and before making travel arrangements, as demand is high throughout the year and we cannot guarantee space will be available at short notice.
- To book an appointment use one of the options listed on the Contact Us page
- Researchers must provide, in advance of their first visit, two separate forms of proof of identity, one showing a photograph (for example passport, national identity card or driving licence) the other showing address (for example utility bill or bank statement).
- Each individual visitor requires an appointment, and appointments are for the named person only. If you are planning to visit with a colleague, friend or relative, each person will require a separate appointment.
Open this 1884 cartoon in more detail
The searchroom and self-service photography
- On arrival researchers are required to complete a user registration form agreeing to the Bank’s conditions of access.
- Researchers are permitted to use their own cameras to make copies for private or non-commercial research. Camera stands are available. Cameras may only be used in designated areas and on completion of the appropriate copyright agreement.
- Please make sure that you are happy with the quality of your images before leaving the searchroom as we are unable to re-take photographs on behalf of researchers.
- Wi-Fi internet is available.
- The searchroom remains open at lunchtime though no files can be ordered between 12.30 and 1.30pm. There is a seating area available, where visitors can eat their lunch.
How to find the Archive
The Bank of England Archive is located within the Bank of England in the heart of the City of London.
Visitors to the Archive should use the main Bank entrance on Threadneedle Street, EC2R 8AH.
For full location, travel information and accessibility for the Bank of England, including for disabled visitors - see our main Visitors page.
Cars can stop briefly to set down and pick up in Bartholomew Lane. For information about car parks in the City of London see City of London Corporation website.