For the first forty years of its life the Bank rented premises to carry on its business, firstly, in
the hall of the Mercers' Company in Cheapside and moving in January 1695 to the larger premises of the Grocers' Company in Princes Street. In 1734 it moved to purpose-built premises in Threadneedle Street which were approximately 80 feet wide (25m) and 300 feet (90m) long. Over the next one hundred years the site was gradually extended until by 1828 the current outline was achieved.
The Bank has been served by a distinguished line of architects:-
|1732-1734 George Sampson|
Scant details of George Sampson have survived.
Even his dates are not known for certain.
He appears to have held the post of Clerk of
Works at the Tower of London and
Somerset House before becoming
Surveyor to the Bank.
His only major work is the 1734 Bank,
arguably the first purpose-built bank in the
British Isles. He is thought to have died in 1764.