Firms or individuals are required to apply to the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) for authorisation to carry on PRA regulated activities or for approval of individuals for PRA designated significant influence functions within dual-regulated firms.
Firms must also apply to, or notify, the PRA in relation to changes in control and close links, passporting, variation of the scope of a firm’s permission, cancellation of a firm’s Part 4A permission and waiving/modifying relevant handbook rules.
The PRA’s assessment of such applications will be proportionate to the risks posed to its objectives.
See the relevant pages referenced below for further information on each of these functions.
The Authorisations Team within the PRA is responsible for coordinating applications and notifications received by the PRA in relation to the following:
- New firm authorisation – for firms wishing to apply for Part 4A permission to accept deposits or carry out insurance related activities.
- Approved persons – for individuals in dual-regulated firms wishing to apply to perform a PRA ‘Controlled Function’ role.
- Change in control & close links – for firms or individuals wishing to apply to acquire or increase their control in a dual-regulated firm, or notify the PRA of a decrease or cessation of control in a dual-regulated firm, or report a change in a dual-regulated firm’s ‘close links’.
- Passporting – for firms wishing to passport out of, or into, the UK under the single market directives.
- Variation of Permission – for dual-regulated firms wishing to apply to vary their permission or for FCA-only regulated firms wishing to apply to add a PRA regulated activity to their permission.
- Cancellation of Part 4A Permission – for dual-regulated firms wishing to cancel their Part 4A permission.
- Waivers & CRR Permissions – for dual-regulated firms wishing to request a waiver or modification to PRA handbook rules.