The Old Lady - War Memorial Supplement, 1939-45

First produced in 1921, The Old Lady was a quarterly staff magazine of the Bank of England.
First produced in 1921, The Old Lady was a quarterly staff magazine of the Bank of England. It continued to be published until December 2007 and contained a variety of articles of domestic interest such as sport and society reports, book reviews, drawings and letters from the Bank's branches. Following the end of the Second World War, it was agreed by the Bank’s Memorial Committee that a Memorial Supplement should be published in order to remember the Bank staff that lost their lives. This act of commemoration accompanied the Bank’s placing of a bronze plaque at the foot of the Statue of St. Christopher, and the engraving of the names of those who died on two panels in the Bank’s front entrance.

The publication contains several photographs including images of ‘The Bronze Wreath’ and the unveiling ceremony which took place on 20 October 1948. A Roll of Honour was also published in the supplement along with details of the statue of St. Christopher and the Holy Child.
 

PDFThe Old Lady - War Memorial Supplement, 1939-45

This page was last updated 08 June 2018
Was this page useful?
Add your details...