Our anti-counterfeiting strategy has five key elements:
- Developing and issuing new state-of-the-art counterfeit resilient notes. This was one of the primary reasons for moving from cotton-paper to polymer banknotes.
- Working with the cash industry so that only high-quality, authentic notes are issued and recirculated.
- An active education programme that works with businesses and the public to help people understand how to identify genuine banknotes.
- Providing a framework for cash machine companies and those companies that own or operate ATMs so that they can test and prove that their equipment and processes meets minimum authentication standards.
- Working closely with law enforcement agencies to disrupt counterfeiting operations.