- The outstanding value of all residential mortgage loans was £1,486 billion in 2019 Q3, 3.9% higher than a year earlier (Table A).
- The value of gross mortgage advances was £73.3 billion, broadly unchanged in comparison to 2018 Q3 (Table A and Chart 1).
- The value of new mortgage commitments (lending agreed to be advanced in the coming months) was 1.1% higher than a year earlier, at £73.8 billion (Table A and Chart 1).
- The share of mortgages advanced in Q3 with loan to value (LTV) ratios exceeding 90% increased to 5.9%. Lending in this LTV bracket is at its highest since 2008 Q4 (Chart 3).
- The share of gross mortgage lending for buy-to-let purposes (covering house purchase, remortgage and further advance) was 12.3%, consistent with 2018 Q3 (Chart 5).
- The value of outstanding balances with some arrears fell significantly to £13.7 billion, and now accounts for 0.92% of outstanding mortgage balances (Chart 6).